Friday, October 16, 2009

Thanks To Vanessa Hidary For Being So Awesome...

I am a culture bandit like Vanessa Hidary.  "A festive fruit platter on the inside."  It took me a long time to come to terms with that. 
  When I was a youngin', I was told to be black.  I grew up in a house full of caucasians... acting anything but what I knew, was simply impossible.  When I was older, I constantly wrestled with the idea that color showed through on content and not just hue. 
    It should have hit me the moment I asked my chicas to teach me Spanish.  It should have hit me when I set out to learn French on my own.  Several classes on history and human studies later, I should have taken it as a hint.
     I am neither black nor white.  I am a mixed child.  Physically black and white with a diverse heritage behind it.  I am yellow, brown, and red too.  Avenging my dead relatives by loving myself for all of my history.  Growing up is confusing and I guess it has to be for us to become the full circle cultural bandits we were meant to be.
Adios.  Ciao. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment